Saturday, March 10, 2012

Evidence at Dawn!

As I take my walk around the compound this morning, a few bits of evidence are before me.

One is a lovely puddle of water!  (Perhaps, my BEAUTIFUL for today?)


Let me set the stage and explain why this mundane evidence is quite lovely!   This is the dry season here in Haiti and things are quite dusty.  I mean, QUITE dusty!  

In the morning, before putting breakfast out, our breakfast cook  (ha - gotcha on that one ....that would be chef Larry, the breakfast cook!) wipes down the counters that have become dusty overnight - a very fine, grey-white layer of Haiti covers everything!  After the meal clean up, the counters are wiped down again - and to look at the dishcloth, one would question whether or not they had been wiped down the day before, much less 30 minutes before!!  So it is in the dry season here.  Lots of wiping going on!

So, when upon walking out the front door and seeing the water gathered in the depression in the concrete,  a big smile began to spread on my face!  This rare, unexpected and probably brief, overnight shower  was a gift .  And the puddle was a quiet announcement that we would probably find the fine dust outside settled  -  for a while this morning anyway! 

Then, as I rounded the back of the guest house on the "walking path", I got a glimpse of something white in the grass.



Telltale evidence! A pingpong ball.

Often, when short term mission teams come down, the children at the orphanage are brought down to the compound for an afternoon.  This is an opportunity for the team members to love on them for several hours and offer them the great out-of-doors, with games or crafts, or some VBS-type activities - and the opportunity for the children to run and play with glee and great abandon!  And a ping pong ball just may be the object-d'art of the day!

See for yourself the kind of fun they have; copy this address  http://vimeo.com/okipe/kite-girls  and see the joy!


Swinging around the compound, I notice a Haitian man by one of the buildings; he is enthusiastically brushing his teeth with much white foam over his mouth, chin, hand, front of his chest, etc., etc.  He is the night watchman, finished with his duties and getting ready for his day.  I notice he has very white teeth.  He is still brushing when I make a second pass in front of him.  We nod, trade niceties.  It is telltale that I need more work on my creole in order to understand him!  We smile with resignation at each other and I move on.


And, then there it is - the sunrise over the sea - glorious!   Beautiful evidence of God's handiwork!



The evidence is indisputable - my day is off to a great start!

























1 comment:

  1. Oh, Marty! As I prayed early, early this morning for you and Larry. I prayed that this would be a wonderful day. I realize more and more that you are such a indispensable part of making it so . . . and the same is true of me!

    Thanks for the lesson reminder.

    Blessings and love,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete