Friday, May 31, 2013

Classes underway - Whew!

Well, the school treasurer was right - once we got past the week of festivities, the students would come.

We have good numbers in each of the four English groups and the two computer classes; the weekly computer lab is always full of eager men working on their own projects.



Six men in one of the advanced English classes.  The  students are hard at work on this week's journal topic, "My Bucket List".  Examples of their entries include "to be a strong man of God", " to see my grandchildren", "to educate my children so they will have choices in life", " to finish my education".  Each student also said - to travel to the United States.  Perhaps Larry and I may just have a visitor or two!




A returning beginners class, working on a project concerning family relations vocabulary.  This group is making great progress, especially in being willing to try speaking English without being timid about it!  

How I can relate!  Someone told me early on that it is important to speak Haitian creole with force!  This was one of the things I had to get past being timid about.  It sometimes seems the Haitians are angry when they are speaking with each other - or with me!  But, it is the "with force" that is simply their way of delivery!  Makes me very empathetic of my shy Haitian English students!

Four classes down - only three more to go.  Too brief a time for them to be making such great progress!  I am really proud of them!

And once again, so thankful for the opportunity to rub elbows with these very special students!

1 comment:

  1. I see Miss Veronica. I'm sure her English is improving every with every team. Give her a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete